In playing with the pleated skirt, I discovered my options were to a) remove two pleats on each side and replace them with a roughly two inch strip in the contrasting fabric, b) replace two pleats on either side with rolled pleats of the contrasting fabric, or c) eliminate the strip of contrasting fabric down the front.
Option a) presents a problem, since in eliminating the rolled pleat this section would just hang awkwardly and not have any relation to the pleats around it. I considered padding it with partial rolled pleats as well, but it still wouldn’t flow since it wasn’t the same size as the rest of the pleats.
Option b) was also discarded when reviewing the inspiration piece. It is clear that if this contrasting trim in the front was added, it was only one pleat not two.
Ultimately I opted for option c), especially in light of my decision to slash and puff the contrast trim on the bodice section. I decided that if I was going to do that, I would need to also do the contrast trim down the front for consistency. Since option a) was creating so many problems with that and option b) wouldn’t allow for it, the best decision was to go with option c).